How Might a Disciplinary Action Affect Your Professional Health Care License?
A disciplinary case against your professional health care license brought by the Florida Department of Health (DOH) might have an adverse effect on you in the following ways:
- Assessment of fines & costs of prosecution
- Penalties ranging from reprimand to suspension or revocation of license
- Requirement that practicioner’s profile be updated to reflect the disciplinary action
- Availability of information on internet including the Federation of State Medical Boards, other State Professional Boards, State of Florida websites, or other government sites
- Potential action by DEA
- Impact on testimony in civil lawsuits
- Use of disciplinary record to increase penalties in future disciplinary case
- Increase in liability insurance premiums
- Exclusion from federal programs i.e., Medicare/Medicaid
- Requirement to provide information on case to employer or facilities for whom you work
- Loss of participation with third party payors, managed care organizations, or other insurers
- Report to National Practitioners Data Bank
- Potential disciplinary actions in other states where you hold a license.
The above list is not intended to be exhaustive. The point should be made simply that a disciplinary case and how one handles the case can have a repercussions beyond the case itself.
If you have encountered a problem with your license it is important to seek experienced legal advice before moving forward. I represent licensed health care professionals and providers throughout Florida. More information can be found at www.floridahealthcareattorney.com or contact me directly at 850-877-7776. The initial consultation is free and there is no obligation.